In the following photos you can see the work being completed on the 60 HP Flickinger Corliss Box. Some of
the photos show the holes in the main housing being line bored and then bushings being made to
press into the new bores. Then the brass bushings being bored to size...
In these next 2 photos you photos I am threading some tie rods for holding the bed plate of an old
2 cycle half breed together. In the third photo I am boring the ID of a steering wheel for an old
International Cub tractor...
These 2 photos are of a connecting rod I made for a 2 cycle half breed engine...
In these next (6) photos it shows making (4) 1/2-12 jam nuts. Started by turning the round stock
and then milling the hex in an indexing head. Chucked it back in the lathe, drilled and tapped
the hole and then with a parting tool sliced off the nuts. The last photo shows the completed
In the following (14) photos you can see the boring of a Fairbanks Morse 5 HP N cylinder.
The photos show everything from setting the cylinder up, indicating the cylinder to get the
machine spindle on center, the actual boring, and then the honing of the cylinder. The are a
few photos that also show making (2) stand-offs for the boring bar support bearing. This really
helps to stabilize the boring bar for the entire length of the cylinder. The Fairbanks Morse
N cylinder came out real nice...
These (3) photos are of honing a 10 HP Bessemer cylinder that had a few problems. The bore was
cleaned up and then a new old stock piston casting was machined up to fit the new bore. Check below
for the machining of the piston and fitting the rings...
Here in these next (9) photos a friend of mine came over to the shop with a sideshaft from a
Ruston Hornsby and the intake and exhaust valve chests from his 35 HP Black Bear. The first few photos
show repairing the end of the Ruston Hornsby sideshaft buy cutting off the bad section at the shoulder
and then boring a hole to press in the new portion of the sideshaft. On the Black Bear valve chests,
we took out each valve and lapped them in to get a better seal. When trying to start the engine we were
getting a little leaking by the valve...
These (9) photos show the machining of the 10 HP Bessemer piston for the above cylinder. You can
see the machining of the piston diameter, laying out and roughing in the ring grooves, and then
acurately custom machining the width of each ring groove to fit the new old stock rings that all
(4) of them were different widths. Also you can see how I cleaned up each rings on the lapping
table. Also in one of the photos, notice the air being used to keep the chips out of the ring
In these next (3) photos you can see an electrical panel that my friend
Ron Polle is building for a Lister generator set he
has built. Ron laid out all the holes for the gages and the DC/pot and we drilled them
on the large drill press. In the last photo you can see what the panel box is going to
These next (3) photos are of machining a 15 HP Evans piston to a diameter of 10.152. I had the
piston metalized to build it up and then machined the OD to the above size. Also I trued up the
Here you can see I have started machining up (4) castings I had made for Buffalo Olin ignitors.
These are for the small Buffalo Olins, 2 1/4 HP and 4 HP engines. They are machining up real
In the first photo, I decided to make a small fixture to mount the ignitor casting to so some of
the machining and hole drilling can be completed. Photo #1 shows the fixture being squared up on the
shaper. The next (3) photos show the fixture in action during the drilling, reaming, countersinking, and
These (2) photos are of a 7 HP Thermoil piston that I have had metal sprayed and am turning down the
diameter. If you look close in the first photo you can see the thickness of the new material. The second photo
shows the piston turned around in the lathe and the OD being turned. Next will be to true up the piston ring