Here are 2 photos taken quite a few years ago, (20 to 25) of the
Abel Acme still in the original power house.
click on the thumbnail for a larger photo...
This first group of photos are of the Abel Acme Engine when I discovered it. Will the engine
ever run again?...
A good friend stops by and he helps out starting to load the engine and take it to its
new home in Pavilion, NY. The cylinder was the first part to make the trip to NY...
These next few photos are of loading the rest of the Abel Acme Engine parts and getting them
north to NY...
Here are some photos that a friend of mine took when we were loading up the main
parts of the 20 HP Abel Acme Engine...
Well the Abel Acme makes the trip north to its new home in Western NY...
In the month of June 2001 I started getting ready to work on the Abel Acme Engine.
You can see in these next 4 photos my son and I getting the base in the shop and also
putting the cylinder up on the table of the Lucas horizontal boring mill...
In these 3 photos you can see some of the set up for locating the Abel Acme cylinder
on the table of the Lucas Horizontal Boring machine. The "C" channel acts like a "V"
block to cradle the cylinder. There is a 1/2" think plate welded to the "C" channel
with (2) 1/2-20 screws for adjusting the position of the cylinder to the center line
of the machine spindle. The (2) cast iron parallels are located on the machined surface
the valve chest mounts to. Chains are used to clamp the entire cylinder down temporarily...
The first step was to rough locate the cylinder by indicating the machined surface the cylinder
mounts to the engine against. This was just to get the cylinder alignment close and then in the
second photo you can see the bore of the cylinder being indicated for a better alignment.
This was a very time consuming process that no photos can do justice. There was a lot of time spent
measuring the bore and running the indicator back and forth...
The shop was in full gear now. My friend Ron Polle was making some table keys for the boring
machine in the vertical mill. These are to be used to mount a hold-down fixture to the machine
table. (more on that soon) In the second photo I am drilling some holes in some parts for the
The first photo here shows tacking the hold-down fixture items in place while everything is
mounted to the machine table. Not a good practice to do, welding on the machine, but I was just
tacking things together. In the next photo I am over on the welding table, finishing up the
welding on the fixture...
In these next (2) photos you can see how the hold-down fixture is mounted to the machine table
and then mounted to the cylinder to keep it stable during boring. This should really help keep
the setup rigid. The chains look like they might do the job, but the last thing you need to
happen while boring is to have the cylinder move a little. Also, notice in the second photo
that the (2) cast iron parallels are gone and replaced with (2) toolmakers adjusting screws. This
helped to aid in aligning the bore up by giving more adjustability to the setup. Now to make the
toolholder for actually boring the cylinder...
This photo shows indicating the bore of the cylinder getting the machine spindle on center
with it. After this is completed all the table and spindle locks are clamped down. This is
quite a tedious process but it needs to be done...
Here is a photo of the toolholder I made for this boring job. It is 3 inches thick and 7 inches
in diameter. The carbide cutting tool will be shimed to the center line of the machine spindle and
clamped in with 3/8-16 set screws. There is a 1 1/2 inch diameter hole in the center of the
toolholder to locate the stabilizer bar and keep the tool vibration down when the machine spindle is
in the extended position...
Next I am getting the outboard bearing support on center with the machine spindle by extending
the machine spindle and indicating the O.D. of a small shaft in the bearing block. The stabilizing bar
will always be engaged in the bearing block and it is very important that it is lined up on center
with the machine spindle...
This is a photo of the toolholder, stabilizing bar, and cutter all assembled and almost ready for
action. I need to shim the cutter into position and lock it down. Then we can start making some